How Long It Takes for Hair to Grow
Posted: Tuesday, September 8th, 2020
The amount of time it takes for hair to grow varies from person to person. To better understand the rate of hair growth, it is important to know the process of how hair grows.
Take a look at the different phases of the hair growth cycle:
- Anagen – this is the growing phase of hair. It can last anywhere from a couple of years up until about 7 years before moving into the Catagen phase.
- Catagen – now that the growth stage has completed, this is the phase where the hair follicle shrinks and cuts off from blood, oxygen, and nutrients. This phase can last anywhere from 1-3 weeks, the shortest phase in hair growth before proceeding into the Telogen phase.
- Telogen – this is the resting phase of hair growth. This phase can account for 5-15% of hairs on the head. This phase typically lasts about three months before it proceeds into the Exogen phase.
- Exogen – this is the shedding phase. Hairs that have reached the end of their resting phase will start to shed to make room for new hairs to start growing. The average person sheds anywhere from 50-100 hairs per day to make room for new growth.
Now that we understand the cycle of hair, let’s take a look at the numbers. According to the American Academy of Dermatology Association, the average person’s hair grows about 1/2″ per month. This can amount to up to 6 inches per year. This rate of hair growth can vary from person to person. Some of the factors that impact the rate of hair growth are age, diet, health, and genetics.
If you are looking to grow your hair out, there are steps you can take to help promote healthy hair growth.
- Scalp Massaging
- Massaging the scalp is important in providing stimulation to the hair follicle. This stimulation brings blood, oxygen, and nutrients to the hair follicle and can help aid the Anagen phase of hair growth. At The Salon at 10 Newbury, we offer an array of scalp treatments to promote healthy hair growth.
- Eating a healthy diet in super foods are great for healthy & optimal hair growth.
- Gentle Brushing
- While brushing is important to bring stimulation to the hair follicle, it is important that it is carried out in a gentle manner to prevent breakage or damage to the hair. A product that can help retain and protect your hair is Intact by Daniel Alain (available at The Salon at 10 Newbury).
While growing out your hair can take some time, it is important to keep your hair healthy and nourished during this process.
Consult with one of our hair specialists on how you can protect, retain, and nourish your hair in your everyday routine.
Check out our blog weekly for the latest updates, trends, and products at The Salon at 10 Newbury.
Sources: WedMD, American Academy of Dermatology Association, Popsugar.com