5 Easy Tips to Getting Healthy Hair: New Year, New You, New Hair!
Posted: Thursday, January 28th, 2016
Is your hair dry or damaged? Has it lost its shine and bounce? Have no fear – we’re here to help get your locks in glamourous shape! Follow these top tips to getting healthy hair.
- Wash your hair less. Although many of us are accustomed to washing our hair every single day, it’s actually a bad practice! This can cause our hair to dry out because a lot of the oils our scalps produce to help keep out hair healthy are being washed out. Try washing your hair less – like 3 to 4 times a week – to help restore the balance in your hair. The trick is to wait it out. Your hair may be a bit oily the first week you try washing your hair less but, trust us, it will soon bounce back more healthy than ever!
- Be gentle with your hair. Treat your hair with a little kindness after washing. Try patting your hair dry with a towel rather than furiously wringing it out (we’re sure everyone is guilty of doing that sometimes – including ourselves!).Then, try using a comb when your hair is still wet to work through tangles instead of a brush since brushes are notorious for causing hair to break! A wide-toothed comb can more gently work through hair with little or no damage.
- Go natural. Do you get professional color treatments on your hair? Many hair color products contain harsh chemical ingredients, including ammonia, which can end up leaving you with dry and damaged hair. We, at The Salon at 10 Newbury, proudly carry Nectaya by Goldwell, consisting of 92% of natural derived ingredients. Ask your stylist to talk to you more about this healthy hair color choice during your next appointment! Similarly, traditional shampoos and conditioners can also contain harsh chemical ingredients. These ingredients can strip your hair of its natural oils, causing it to look frayed and damaged. To fix, ask your stylist to use our new shampoo and conditioner line by Goldwell called Green by Dualsenses! It is made up of natural ingredients that will leave you beautifully healthy-looking hair.
- Try a deep conditioning treatment. Opt for a deep conditioning treatment during one of your next trips to our salon. We would massage Goldwell Dualsenses Pure Repair green line into your hair. It is the miraculous 60 second deep conditioning treatment! Yes, you heard us right – this treatment only takes a single minute to nurse your hair back to health. Trust us – you’ll love us for it!
- Eat more nutritious foods. You are what you eat! Eating a well-balanced diet that contains protein, vitamin B, iron and omega-3s can help you get healthy hair. Some suggested foods include eating plenty of fruits, vegetables and nuts for vitamin B, eating chicken, pork and beef for iron and protein, and salmon and walnuts for omega-3s. To get an extra boost, try supplementing your diet with prenatal vitamins. They contain ingredients known to improve hair, nails and skin!